LYNDEN'S HISTORY

 
 

Lynden was begun...

Lynden was begun in 1871 and established in 1874 by Holden Phoebe Judson near the site of the Nooksack Indian village Squahalish. The town was officially incorporated on March 16, 1891. 

The town lies in a broad valley along the winding path of the Nooksack River, which empties into nearby Bellingham Bay. The surrounding area is filled with dairy, raspberry, strawberry, and blueberry farms. Even though not founded by them, the region saw significant Dutch immigration in the early and mid 1900s, spurring the growth of dairies. Today, Lynden pays homage to its Dutch heritage through locations such as buildings on Front Street, where some businesses have been made-over with a Dutch theme, complete with our very own windmill. 

 
 
 

The Mill Inn

655 Front Street
Lynden, WA, 98247

360.684.4341